About the database
By providing the Database for School Quality (DaQS), the German Institute for International Educational Research (DIPF) offers a service to empirical educational researchers for querying and digitally indexing research projects in school and instructional quality. In particular, the database offers:
- differentiated information respectively outline data on studies, e.g.
- The Study on the Development of All-day Schools (StEG)
- Pedagogical Developmental Accounts (PEB)
- Pythagoras: instructional quality, learning behavior and mathematical understanding
- Learning and Living Democracy
- Detailed documentation of assessment instruments, including descriptive metadata, item full texts, source references, statistical parameters
- Concrete insights into original questionnaires
- Comprehensive search options for instruments at the level of studies, scales, and items
- Possibility to compare indexed instruments according to common parameters
The database offers support to research processes in the areas of theory building, assessment planning, operationalization and documentation.
Like all the services offered by the German Education Portal, use of DaQS is free of charge - other services include the German Education Index, the Open Access repository peDOCS or the thematic web catalogue Guide for research on education. Accordingly, DIPF expresses its commitment to making research information and research data openly accessible, pursuant to the Open Access principle.
We decided to offer the Database for School Quality (DaQS) on the German Education Portal which is a one-stop shop offering a central entry point to pedagogical information on the web. This information service focuses on assessment instruments; it complements existing focal areas such as bibliographical information (German Education Index and peDOCS) and internet guide (thematic catalogue, subject to a co-operation with the German Education Server), adding another facet. We have taken care to integrate the services: wherever possible, references in DaQS to a source of scale or publication of a study are linked to a relevant record in the German Education Index.
The Database for School Quality (DaQS) was developed in a project phase. Originally, funding was made available following a successful competitive proposal to the Leibniz Association (Senatsausschuss Wettbewerb - SAW). The service has been online since March 2011.
Advantages of DaQS at a glance
- centrally indexes questionnaires and renders them permanently available
- is openly accessible
- allows simple access to indexed instruments
- categorises instruments according to a special DaQS construct scheme; the original categorisation is retained
- acknowledges researchers’ and scientists’ work in the field of instrument development
- raises the transparency of the researchers’ own actions
- increases the visibility of the researchers’ own projects and achievements
- helps avoid the duplication of developmental work
- brings together the knowledge about instruments in the area of school and instructional quality
At DIPF, we aim to develop DaQS according to the users’ needs. We appreciate your feedback, be it with regard to the content, or formal aspects respectively the design of the website and implemented functionalities. You can either contact us directly (see below) or use the contact form to submit your comments.
German Institute for International Educational Research (DIPF)
D-60486 Frankfurt am Main
Marius Gerecht, PhD (Co-ordination DaQS)
Tel. +49 (0) 69.247 08 - 110
Fax +49 (0) 69.247 08 - 444