In setting up and operating the database, DIPF remains committed to strictly adhering to third-party copyright holders, e.g. authors or publishers. If you have the impression that your rights have at least in part been inappropriately been considered, please do not hesitate to contact us so that conflict can be avoided.
General terms of the German Institute for International Educational Research (DIPF) for using the "Database for School Quality (DaQS)"
(As of February 2011)
- DIPF provides the Database for School Quality (DaQS) in the framework of the German Education Portal alliance. DaQS indexes assessment instruments for assessing school and instructional quality. The database is openly accessible to the science community for use. DaQs aims to provide access to information about conducted studies, implemented questionnaires and pertinent constructs, scales and items. Users of the database will thus be able to inspect different operationalisations of scales with comparable content and identify, compare and use the scales most suitable for their own research purposes based on common parameters.
- Rights of use might be reserved or restricted in the case of contents of the database that involve third-party rights.
- Use of the database is finally determined by the outlined provisions.
§ 1 Applicability, alterations
- Once these terms come into effect, any earlier agreements between the parties concerning the subject of this contract will become void.
§ 2 Services provided by DIPF
- DIPF will provide access to the contents of the database on the internet, free of charge. Principally, any user can access these contents, print them off and download them.
- Contents to which the restrictions outlined in the Preface are applicable are appropriately indicated.
- Generally, DIPF provides daily 24 –hour access to the database via the German Education Portal. If possible, DIPF will inform users in advance about system maintenance and disruption of services.
§ 3 Relationship of parties
- Regarding use pursuant to § 2 (1), no relationship involving a duty to serve is contracted with DIPF. DIPF provides the respective services via the German Education Portal, without any duty to oblige.
§ 4 User co-operation
- Internet access is required for using the service, and the user is responsible for any costs involved in accessing the internet.
- If the user integrates contents from the database into his or her own work either in part or full, he or she will quote the source according to citation conventions (database, bibliographical details of original source).
§ 5 Reservation of rights, scope of use
- All rights remain reserved regarding copyright and intellectual property rights for the database contents. A simple usage right is granted for the users’ personal needs. In particular, the duplication beyond usage defined in § 2 (1), publication and provision of open access to contents is not permitted, notwithstanding reservations in exceptional cases.
- Furthermore, database contents pursuant to § 2 (2) are subject to the limitations of usage rights outlined above.
- Users are not allowed to use database contents commercially.
§ 6 Data protection
- At DIPF, any person involved in processing personal data is committed to data secrecy and has been instructed regarding important data protection legislation.
- We expressly refer to the data protection information by DaQS on the German Education Portal, pursuant to § 13 TMG.
§ 7 Breaches of duty
- DIPF is not responsible for any errors resulting from the user’s duty to co-operate according to § 4 or that are caused by a third party’s failure (e.g. provider of a communication network).
- The above limitations are not applicable in the case of compelling product liability and harm to life, body or health.
- DIPF is not liable for damages caused by an act of God. In particular, this concerns operative disruptions caused by natural events, conflicts, or industrial actions.
§ 8 Duration of service, termination
- DIPF offers DaQS permanently, it can terminate the service any time without specification of reasons.
§ 9 Engagement of third parties
- DDIPF may engage third parties in providing the service.
§ 10 Final provisions
- Place of performance: Frankfurt am Main.
- The relationship of the parties according to these conditions is solely defined by the legal rights applicable in the Federal Republic of Germany. The Vienna United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods does not apply.
- If any of the conditions in this agreement are or become invalid or inoperable, this does not affect the other conditions in any way.
Data protection pursuant to § 13 Telemediengesetz (TMG)
We are committed to protecting the users’ rights to privacy. You as the user of the Database for School Quality (DaQS) on the German Education Portal are therefore protected as follows:
Anonymous data ascertainment
Principally, you can use the DaQS website without informing us who you are. We will only learn about your IP address and the pages you visit on our portal, as well as the duration of your stay on these webpages. We ascertain these data for statistical purposes. Individual users remain anonymous.
Further information and contacts
If you have any further questions regarding data protection at DIPF, please contact our data protection officer, you will find contact details below. You can thus find out which of your data are saved at DIPF. Moreover, you are welcome to e-mail or send information, requests for deletion or amendment regarding your data and also suggestions to the following address:
German Institute for International Educational Research
Data protection officer